Mad Men Charity Auction for City of Hope

 Posted by on August 13, 2010 at 7:29 pm  Mad Men, Other Culture, Retro
Aug 132010
 

Given the irony Mad Men has shown on the subject in past episodes, it is perhaps fitting that the show’s first official charity auction benefits the Lung Cancer Program at City of Hope.

There’s a walk-on role up for bids, plus plenty of vintage Sterling-Cooper furniture.  However, the big draws may come from Janie Bryant’s closet of awesome, including the metallic brocade dress Bobbie Barrett wore in “The New Girl,” a teal evening gown worn by Betty in “The Gold Violin,” and the green frock worn by Joan in “Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency.” (Would we prefer those last two cleaned, or not?)

FacebookGoogle+RedditShare

  11 Responses to “Mad Men Charity Auction for City of Hope”

  1. The Joan dress would fit me (with a few tucks) but do I want a fake blood spattered dress

    But seriously, if you like mid-century furniture, the office pieces are going for a song.

  2. As someone who is currently fighting lung cancer, I say thank you, thank you, thank you!

    Lung cancer is not just for smokers or those continually exposed to cigarette smoke anymore. Sixty percent of those who get it now are never smokers and those who have not smoked in decades (like me). Its victims are also younger and younger each year. It is not uncommon for someone in their 20s, who was never exposed to cigarette smoke, to get and die of the disease today.

    A good place to visit to learn the facts is http://www.wtflungcancer.com/.

  3. I was hoping to see the Chip-N-Dip…….

  4. Middie,

    The Chip-N-Dip belongs to Matt Weiner's parents!

  5. Susan M,

    As someone whose family had a scare a few years back, my best wishes to you.

  6. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Cantara Christopher, sponso RING. sponso RING said: Mad Men Charity Auction for City of Hope | Basket of Kisses: Given the irony Mad Men has shown on the subject in p… http://bit.ly/9Lc8ag [...]

  7. If only 10% of the sale price is going to City of Hope, who is getting the other 90%? I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem like as much of a charity auction as much as a "let's recoup some of our costs and call it a charity so people will think it is going to a good cause" (which, I think City of Hope, is, by the way). I'd like to see them "cough" up a higher percentage, that's all.

  8. I don't know what the going rate is for charity auctions like this. Auction Cause seems to do a bunch of them. Having recently seen what the show's budget is — and some of the costs — I don't fault Lionsgate for trying to recoup a bit.

  9. I suppose it could be more upfront, but it is fairly prominently stated on every bid page.

  10. #8 I don’t fault them for trying to recoup costs either! My point is that the charity auctions I’ve been associated with, all of the profits go to the cause. I’d be quite happy if they said something like: “Hey, we’re trying to recoup some of the productions costs and we’re going to sweeten the incentive by giving 10% of the profit to City of Hope.”

    I’ve never participated in an Ebay auction so maybe everyone but me knows that only a small portion goes to the charity. But I’d like to see greater truth in advertising, so to speak, that most of the money will be going back to the production company.

  11. And I don't know why I'm being such a grumpy pants about it. *grin* It seems like a win-win-win situation for everyone involved.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

css.php